Scripps Pier Photo: Marc Tule
A department of UC San Diego, Scripps Institution of Oceanography's is a leader in many scientific fields reflects
its continuing commitment to excellence in research, modern facilities and ships, distinguished faculty,
and outstanding graduate and undergraduate students - and the horizons continue to expand.
With more than a century of exploration and discovery in global sciences, Scripps Oceanography is the world's preeminent center for ocean and earth research, teaching, and public education.
• America’s oldest and the world’s largest academic ocean, atmosphere, and earth science institution
• Founded in 1903 and joined the University of California in 1912
- Hundreds of research projects in more than 60 nations
- World leader in study of climate change, earthquakes and other natural disasters, drug-resistant diseases, water shortages, saving marine life, energy alternatives, pollution
- 4 research vessels and FLIP for worldwide ocean exploration, plus a new research vessel to commence operations in 2016
- 184 faculty and researchers
- 242 graduate students
- 1,157 additional academics and staff
- 698 volunteers
Birch Aquarium at Scripps:
- Graduate degrees conferred in oceanography, marine biology, and earth sciences
- 45 undergraduate courses in earth science, marine science, and environmental systems taught by top Scripps scientists
Scripps in the World:
- 405,000 visitors of all ages each year
- 42,000 schoolchildren benefit from K-12 programs each year
- Dynamic exhibits connect visitors to ocean/earth science and the innovative research at Scripps
- Globally: Scripps scientists provide expertise to governments international organizations, and various agencies on topics of global concern
- Locally: Scripps scientists frequently participate in community forums and events
Why does Scripps Institution of Oceanography matter?
Video: The Ocean Impacts Us All
See San Diego community leaders share their support of world-renowned
Scripps Institution of Oceanography and the profound impact its
environmental research and education has on our world.
Video: Join the Journey
Scripps Institution of Oceanography's second century of discovery starts with you.
How is Scripps Making a Difference?
Groundbreaking discoveries at Scripps inspire solutions. Scripps is an international leader in seeking scientific understanding of the globe, an effort that connects scientists with leaders in industry and policy to address concerns that impact our world.
Support Scripps -- Make a Donation